Gone Writing!

Gone Writing!
"Gone Writing!"

Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Difference between I and Me!

Learning the English language as a Child is hard, no matter what you're doing~something is wrong. But once you're an adult, it doesn't seem to get any easier. 

I remember my Grandmother continually fixing my "I and me" errors. I was so angry once that I back talked, and told her: "Shut up! I'm not I, I'm not me, I'm Deneale. Leave me alone I wasn't even talking to you anyway!" Which the end result was a backhand, which didn't help anyway. 

To this day, there are times where there happens to be someone in the back ground correcting me.  "You mean I. Not me." And I grit my teeth. So badly I want to say, "But you understood me, didn't you ?!" And; deep breath, I control myself because I want people to learn and use "Proper English!" 

"I" is a subject pronoun, being that it means the first person singular. It means it will refer to the person performing the action of a verb. 

Examples:

I see what you're doing!

I stopped by your house the other day!

I want to go to the Store!

The word "Me" is an object of a pronoun, it refers to the person that the action of a verb is done to, or to whom the preposition refers. 

Examples:

Drema told me to leave.

Just between you and me, I don't want to go.

It's not up to me.


The real confusion between me and I really happens when you say things like this:

"Johnny and me are ready!" You're not sure if you should say "Johnny and I" or "Johnny and me" so more often then not, this where most of us land our mistakes. Myself, especially.... Wait.... Me especially?!? Oh boy.....

If you're like me, and not good with grammar concepts like subject and objects; there is still an easier way to decide to use "I or me!" Try out the sentence with just I or me, or if you need a plural; we or us. But always remember never to use a subject pronoun and object pronoun together ! And yes, sometimes; the sentences don't sound right. For example: "She told him and me the truth." This sentence is correct, although it sounds and even looks wrong, it is in fact: correct. 

The English language is one of the hardest languages to learn, fact. There are so many ways, to say and word things, to make a simple phrase come across differently. This is why The English language can have words taken out of context. Always, always check your spelling, and think before you speak!







No comments:

Post a Comment