Gone Writing!

Gone Writing!
"Gone Writing!"

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Homonyms!

One of my biggest pet peeves happens to be spelling errors. The one I would like to touch base on at this very moment happens to be:

                  Homonyms. 


You may not recall what homonyms are, or were when you learned about them in School, so allow me to refresh your memory. They are words that have the same pronounuation, but are spelled differently, and have different meanings. For example: There, Their and They're. And these also are something many people use, and put in the wrong places.

They're: two words combined meaning they are. "Look; they're coming!" 
Their: Their is a third person plural possessive adjective, used to describe something as belonging to them. It is also usually followed by a noun. "This is their room, and this one is our room!"
There: this one has several different uses, and is very common. So people tend to just throw it around. For example, a Noun, which means: that place; also as an adjective which means which person; as well as a pronoun which introduces a noun or clause, and even an adverb that means the opposite of here. I technically could give you examples of each, but I'm not wanting to truly give you a boring English lesson here. "That there was not my intent."

The best thing to know with the words : there they're and their is always remember this: if the word means "belonging to them" use their, if you can replace the word with they are, you can use they're, after that, the only correct answer: there! 

Now then; some other recognizable homonyms: 


I hope this has educated you, and maybe even helped you. If so, please pass it along so that maybe it can help someone else. 

Also, thank you so much for dropping by!!!






2 comments:

  1. The most common I see are:
    your/you're
    patience/patients
    accept/except (to me they are not meant to be pronounced the same but many people do)
    in/and (I don't know why but people do)
    to/too

    Accept/except is the one that grates my nerves the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you see and understand where I'm coming from though. I thought I was just being "Strange!" Lol

      Delete